What is Gutenberg?
Gutenberg is a new text editor for WordPress that changes the entire editing experience for the user. It adds flexibility and improved design capabilities for users who do not have a lot of experience writing code.
What are Blocks?
Blocks are different elements that can be dragged into the content of a page. This is the core functionality that makes Gutenberg unique and easy to use compared to the current WordPress editor. These blocks can include everything from paragraph, images, buttons, embeds, video, audio, and anything you can expect to include to a blog post.
- Common Blocks – Paragraph, heading, shortcode, pullquote, separator, custom html, faq, list, and button.
- Formatting – Pullquote, code, preformatted, verse, classic, custom html, and table.
- Layout Elements – Separator, button, columns, page break, more, and spacer.
- Widgets – Shortcode, latest posts, archives, categories, and latest comments.
- Embed – Easily paste links to posts from social media to display directly on your posts.
- Yoast Structured Data Blocks (SEO Yoast plugin required) – FAQ and how to.
- Reusable – Make a block that can be used in multiple locations and updated across all blocks when edited.
Pros & Cons of Gutenberg
- Adding complicated elements with no coding skill.
- Create custom layouts with a user-friendly experience.
- Mobile responsive to create and edit posts on the fly.
- Reusable blocks allow of time saving development/data entry.
- Stripped HTML should occur less often.
- Lack of markdown support.
- May require some custom CSS for more complicated elements for responsiveness such as columns.
Backwardcompatibility issues may occur.
New User Experiences
Gutenberg was created for dynamic editing of posts for those who do not have much coding knowledge. However, this does not mean developers shouldn’t use it. Features such as the reusable block make it easier for developers to insert dynamic code that can be utilized in multiple locations of the site. Tools like this are more likely to be utilized by users with coding experience than without, but can be used by all.
A common issue for any digital marketing agency involves clients making updates to their site which impacts the functionality of the page due to lack of technical experience. These incidents will occur less frequently because access the raw HTML requires more steps, and the number of blocks available to the user will make the need to edit the HTML of a post rare.
How To Install Gutenberg
Instructions on how to install Gutenberg.
Access Your WordPress Admin Dashboard
Navigate to “Add New” Under the Plugin Menu
Using the navigation menu on the left side of the screen hover the option “Plugins” and select “Add New”.
Search “Gutenberg” and Install then Activate
Using the search bar in the top right of the window type in “Gutenberg” and select “Install Now” on “Gutenberg by Gutenberg Team”. After installing, click the button “Activate” that replaced the install button.