SEO is a process that can take months of time and extensive effort. In the beginnings of SEO, many people created their own tools to help them analyze websites and search engines. Now, there are many professional tools that have been developed with the intention of making the SEO process easier. With hundreds of SEO tools out there, how do small businesses choose which ones are best? In this article, we will describe the top 5 best SEO tools for small businesses and their features.
Top 5 Best SEO Tools For Small Businesses
Google Analytics is more than an SEO tool but is one of the most helpful software for SEO analysis. This software is a web analytics tool that shows you how users are interacting with your website. You can analyze the number of people on your site, the most popular pages on your site, how many leads you are receiving, and the keywords people are using to find your website, among other metrics. Google Analytics is free to use. Getting started with Google Analytics requires signing up with your Google Account and inserting tracking code on your site.
Learn more about How To Set Up Google Analytics On Your Website.
- Information is from Google’s database
- Real-time results
- Data is archived over time, so you can compare the current year to the last year
- The reporting feature is harder to learn and is not user-friendly
- No backlink analysis
- If you set Google Analytics up incorrectly, you will have the wrong data to analyze
- Google Analytics isn’t as user-friendly as other SEO tools, there is a learning curve involved
Cost: $0 (Free)
SEMRush is a popular SEO tool that has website audit, keyword ranking tracking, social media tracking, and competitor analysis. The competitor analysis tools might be the most valuable tools from SEMRush. The program makes it easy to find out what keywords your competitors are ranking for, which backlinks your competitors have. In conclusion, it shows you what your competitors are doing right and what they are doing poorly.
- Competitor analysis is very robust, with multiple ways of analyzing competitor keywords and backlinks
- Robust keyword and backlink analysis
- Real-time data
- No historical data on the smaller plans
- Keyword data is not as up to date as some of the other tools
Cost: $99.95 monthly to analyze five websites
Moz is considered the “granddaddy” of SEO tools. This software suite has keyword tracking, backlink analysis, live rank tracking, competitor analysis, site audits, and reporting. Many of the Moz specific metrics that Moz Pro uses are considered standard metrics in the SEO industry. There is a 24-hour help team available.
- Very user-friendly, with easy to understand reporting
- Up to date keyword tracking, updates once a week
- Responsive, live customer support
- Site crawl can be difficult to navigate
- Backlinks can be out of date
- You can only track up to 3 competitors
Cost: $99 monthly to analyze five websites
Raven Tools consolidates data from Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and others. Overall, Raven Tools can connect to up to 20 different data sources. This tool has site auditing, keyword tracking, backlink tracking, reporting and competitor analysis. It’s the best feature might be its reporting, which combines data from multiple tools into one branded report. You can create unlimited campaigns, regardless of the type of plan.
- Comprehensive reporting that shows data from multiple sources in one place.
- You can check live rankings from inside the tool instead of searching on Google.
- Easy to integrate other tools such as Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Facebook, Instagram
- Site crawl format can be overwhelming to use
- Custom reporting format is powerful but has a learning curve
Cost: $99 monthly for four users
SEO PowerSuite combines 4 great products from Link Assistant into one: RankTracker, WebSite Auditor, Link Assistant, and SEO Spyglass. The tools in this software can help you optimize keywords, monitor your social media, building backlinks, analyze your competitors, track keywords you are ranking for and backlinks. Their keyword research tool is very useful as it combines data from Adwords and Google Trends. Spyglass scans the internet for search engine backlinks that you can create to increase traffic on your website.
- The tool has great link building features and searches the web for high-quality link opportunities quickly, saving time.
- Affordable – one-time fee plus $8.33 a month for algorithm updates
- Standalone application: requires being downloaded on a computer. This can be an issue for small businesses that need to share the software.
- Keyword research tool only has data from Adwords and Google Trends, which may not be as up to date as other tools.
- The tool is packaged as four separate programs, not one integrated one. This can be clunky for some business owners to use.
Cost: $249 for a license + 8.33 per month
SEO tools can simplify the SEO process. However, most of them have a learning curve. The data requires constant analysis, also. The numbers need to be interpreted by an expert and analyzing one metric does not tell the entire story. In addition, the cost of SEO tools can become prohibitive to small business owners on a budget. In these cases, consulting an SEO agency might be worth your time. If you want to develop an SEO strategy, contact Momentum. We can help you develop an SEO strategy to increase organic leads.